Friday, November 23, 2012

When the Sun Sets

Things are getting a little more interesting in this part of the country. It get's dark really early. The Sun is setting at 5PM now and it is pitch black by 5:30PM or so. Don't get me wrong, I intend to get night current for my own safety by going up with an instructor. You see, Since joining Condor Aero Club back in May, I have been based at an interesting little airport in Zelienople, PA.

KPJC is nestled in a valley just west of town and has some very interesting approach characteristics to say the least. Runway 35, the calm wind favored, has a moderate sized hill just left of final. A proper approach is achieved by hugging the hill turning downwind to base and then base to final. I think I would like to experience that night approach with an instructor in the right seat. Runway 17 used to have a beautiful approach where the final brought you in descending over two lakes to a displaced threshold. Unfortunately the lakes have been drained, but final approach is still exciting.

I have never logged as many hours as I have this Summer, thanks to Condor. I am now at the point that I need to tame the night landing at KPJC....

Check Out My Youtube Channel